Butterflies: everyone knows them and most people love them. They often have beautiful colors, strange wing shapes and they are completely harmless. Their other live stages, especially the caterpillar, can be gorgeous with strange colors and shapes, but some people are disgusted by them.
Butterflies are very fascinating as pets, because they undergo a complete metamorphosis; they are born as caterpillars, then change into pupae which give rise to a butterfly (or moth). This is very interesting to watch for children, but even for adults (like me!).
In these pages you can read all about keeping butterflies and caterpillars as pets:
- General description
- Caring for caterpillars and butterflies
- Catching Wild moths and butterflies
- Species description and caresheets
- Breeding butterflies and moths
- FAQ Frequently asked questions